How I Discovered The Warlock Series

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
Breeman
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm
LocationCOLON Leominster MA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

How I Discovered The Warlock Series

Postby Breeman » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:11 pm

When I was just a young teenager (I'm now 24), I picked up "Escape Velocity" at a local church book sale. Being interested in Scifi and Fantasy, the cover caught my eye. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but naturally, I wanted more. I was quick to discover that it was a precursor to the "Warlock Series."

I immediately (with the help of my father) sought out the rest of the books, most of which I found used on AbeBooks.com, a very good source for used books of ANY genre.

I became completely immersed in the books and loved every single page. I still have my complete collection (now beside the Wizard In Rhyme, and Rogue Wizard series) on a bookshelf in my apartment, and still enjoy reading them.

I now work a job where I have an hour and a half train commute to and from work, which gives me the opportunity to re-read these books, and enjoy them all over again.

The Warlock Series remains my favorite Scifi/Fantasy series, and I was sad to see it end with the Warlock's Last Ride, but was happy with how it ended. Thank you Mr. Stasheff, for creating these awesome books, and I can't wait to read whatever new stories you release, in addition to continuing to enjoy the old ones.
"Father Vidicon, protect us from Finagle!"
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: How I Discovered The Warlock Series

Postby cstasheff » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Breeman. Though the Warlock series is finished, I'm working on three other novels in different series, currently THE UNKNOWN GUEST, the fourth book in the Starship Troupers series -- it seems to be the most-asked-for book on this forum. Ortho is putting up a chapter a week, if I can keep up with him. At the moment, they're still on a haqunted planet, but will soon depart for a world colonized by convicts -- an echo of Australia or the Siberia from which one of my great-uncles escaped. Hope you enjoy!
Breeman
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm
LocationCOLON Leominster MA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Breeman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr. Stasheff! And actually, I haven't read the Starship Troupers books yet (I just ordered the first 3 and will be reading them as soon as I get them) and I am currently reading St. Vidicon to the Rescue for the first time, which is actually very interesting to me as I work as a web developer and also do some computer troubleshooting and other computer programming. So it's really easy to put myself into Tony's character, and I'm glad i'm reading it now for the first time.

It's cool to get a response from you, being a fan of your works for so long. I'll definitely continue to be active on this forum, and will look forward to the new chapters of Starship Troupers 4, once I catch up to that, which won't take me long :D
"Father Vidicon, protect us from Finagle!"
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114

Postby cstasheff » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Sorry that Rod and Gwen couldn't stay waiting to have the last book published posthumously, but the way my sales were going, I figured I'd better get it in while I could; the publishers were losing interest. Besides, if just felt like the right time, since both the Warlock's heirs series and the Rogue Wizard series needed to be wrapped up, and that was kind of tied in with Rod and Gwen's passing to Tir Nan Og (which, I think, is probably just the Celtic name for Heaven). Hope you enjoy Father Vidicon's travails; my studio engineer told me he had been through every one of those situations. Ortho is kindly posting chapters of the final (?) Star Troupe series. Enjoy!
aeneas
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Postby aeneas » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Breeman,

There's some chatter about Mr. Stasheff and the Warlock series on John C. Wright's online journal. You should check it out:

http://johncwright.livejournal.com/469480.html#cutid1

I too have read and re-read them all. Long live Gramayre. Excelsior!
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114

Postby cstasheff » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm delighted that you enjoy the books, Breeman. If you run out, we're posting sample chapters of new works on this website -- just click on the arrow at the bottom of the left-hand page. Actually, the chapters may have been rewritten substantially before we put them up for sale on Amazon. My rewrites have a lot to do with what the readers do and don't like, so let me know if there's anything you feel strongly or curious about. If you think there's a background story I've left out, feel free to contribute some fan fiction.

I'm in the final chapters of the rough draft of THE UNKNOWN GUEST,the final book in Starship Troupers series, the adventures of the Star Company. Before that, I roughed out THE ASTEROOID WAR, a space opera, and before that, THE FROG AND THE GROG, a light fantasy. Let me know how you like (or don't) them.

Thanks so much for your kind comments.
jlstew
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:11 am

Postby jlstew » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 am

I had a history teacher in high-school that didn't like to teach (he was the football coach ) he told us to bring a book to read (it was 1978) that is when I first read The Warlock in Spite of Himself since then
I have collected, read and reread the warlock, the rogue wizard, and wizard in rhyme series.
They are my favorite books.
wd59
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed May 09, 2012 2:35 am

Postby wd59 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:52 am

I have many (not all yet!) of CS' books. My Favorites are the Wizard in Rhyme series, but I have some from all series but Starship Troupers - just haven't found them at my bookstores yet.

I have had some of these since the early to mid 80's when I discovered the amazing talent of the author. I have read, and reread, and will continue to read, and reread them for as long as I'm able to read!

As I think back tonight that some of these books I have are almost 30 yrs old, and that I have read some of them over 20 times, I have to tell you Mr Stasheff, you sir must be one heck of a writer! Though I have a fairly extensive library, you far outnumber any other author in my inventory - and I'm not blowing smoke your way for you to reply with some nice thing to say to me, I just guess that I really like your style of writing. I find it hard to believe that you have had some trouble (as I have seen posted here) with any publisher not wanting more of your work!!!! What fools these mega-conglomerate heresies and Philistines must be! Whatever you do, please don't give into them or give up! Though I will be kicking and screaming all the way that I'm dragged down the information highway of life, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go the e-book/Kindle way to continue to buy your works. But I hear that authors get more money from e-books now than they do for hard copies, so I guess I'll just be helping you out as well.

Thank you for many, many, many hours of enjoyment!
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114

Postby cstasheff » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks, wl59. I've just finished the 4th and final STARSHIP TROUPERS. It needs a lot of rewriting, but if it does come out next year, I hope you enjoy it.

Return to