Who was Big Tom?

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
korg20000bc
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Who was Big Tom?

Postby korg20000bc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32 pm

I have just re-read "Warlock" and didn't really get Big Tom's origins.
Was he a Gramarye local trained up by the future Totalitarians, or someone bought back from the future for their struggle on Gramarye?

If he was from the future why didn't he physically resemble The Mocker and the Counsellors?
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: Who was Big Tom?

Postby cstasheff » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:36 am

Hadn't really thought about it, but now that I do, I realize he must be a local taken ahead in time for his education -- he knows the culture too well to be an outsider, and totalitarian theory too well to be home-schooled. Maybe this is where I got the idea for the churls in WIZARD IN BEDLAM.
Thanks for the comment!
korg20000bc
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Postby korg20000bc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:19 am

No, no!
Thanks for the reply.
How would you envision his training?
Taken from peasant stock with some gripe against the nobels, taken to the future as a young man/teen and given advanced training in hand-to-hand combat styles and indoctrinated? Or, perhaps, local tough identified by the Mocker as someone with potential, taken to the future, educated to Doctorate level, trained in enough fighting styles to immediately recognise Rod's use of Judo, brought back to the House of Clovis at the immediate point of his departure to the future? All that would have changed to the local observer was that he had seemed to age a few years rapidly.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I'd find Tom's story a fascinating story if it was fleshed out.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks for the4 ideas, Korg2000. Could be the basis for a new Gramarye story -- sort of spinning off the way Wheedon split Angel's story off from Buffy. Think you could do it as a fan fiction story?
magdalene74
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Postby magdalene74 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:56 pm

That is so awesome that you actually ENCOURAGE fan fics.. when i think of all the hassle Anne (God rest her soul) gave us fan fic writers for years hehehe... maybe there could be a section here on the forum, so you could critique lol. The way you stated it was always the way i imagined big Tom's life.. cept i figured it was more a foundling thing.. taken young the easier to indoctrinate and brainwash... why he was so loyal to the ideals.. but with remaining family somewhere in the peasantry..

Return to