The Warlock Speaks for himself

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
davinger
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:54 am

The Warlock Speaks for himself

Postby davinger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 am

I'm new to this so forgive me if I am doing this wrong. My father is getting on in years (that means he is getting old) He LOVES to read and the warlock series has been one of his most loved. Diabeties has claimed much of his eyesight and even with the use of a Nook he has a hard time. In order to keep him with his beloved pass time I bought him an iPod and spent several weeks teaching him to use it. I recently discovered The Warlock In Spite of Himself in audio format and I was wondering if/when the next books will be forthcoming. I am ready to buy them on the day they come out.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: The Warlock Speaks for himself

Postby Ortho the Frank » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 pm

Alas, we're not sure IF any more Warlock books will be coming out in Audio, let alone when. I can say, however, that Books for the Blind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_for_the_Blind) did almost the entire Rouge Wizard series as audiobooks, although I'm not entirely sure how to access them.
MaryTheBraider
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Postby MaryTheBraider » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Is this something you might consider producing yourselves? After all, I happen to know at least one member of Chris' family has a great speaking voice and has created podcast commercials....

Granted, this takes a lot of time. You could, as a trial, farm one (or a short story) out to fans who are desperately bored between contracts. (If you wanted to try that, we could even ask Davinger, above, what his dad's favorite book in the series is.) Does Amazon allow you to market your own audiobooks as well as text books?
davinger
PostsCOLON 7

Postby davinger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:54 pm

MaryTheBraider wroteColonIs this something you might consider producing yourselves? After all, I happen to know at least one member of Chris' family has a great speaking voice and has created podcast commercials....

Granted, this takes a lot of time. You could, as a trial, farm one (or a short story) out to fans who are desperately bored between contracts. (If you wanted to try that, we could even ask Davinger, above, what his dad's favorite book in the series is.) Does Amazon allow you to market your own audiobooks as well as text books?

As a writer myself I know that publishers are at times a little hard to deal with. In order to get King Kobold / Revised converted to an audio book the publisher and several other parties have to talk and talk and talk once they finish talking they go back and talk some more. Some other publishers are quite easy to deal with and work to make it happen. I haven't checked who currently has the copyrights to the books so we will have to wait and see.

I rather liked the first book in audio format though I did have to get a high quality version to hear it all. The background sounds, sound effects and diffrent voices was very refreshing. So if you can please use the same people. :-)
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I think Amazon lets you distribute audiobooks as MP3s. I'll have to look into it. I like the idea of a "trial run" using a short story or novella - not nearly as much of a time commitment. Perhaps Mind Out of Time?

And yes, Wild Voices, the guys who did the Warlock in Spite of Himself audiobook, did a fantastic job with a large cast and great sound design.
MaryTheBraider
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm

Postby MaryTheBraider » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:50 pm

And yes, Wild Voices, the guys who did the Warlock in Spite of Himself audiobook, did a fantastic job with a large cast and great sound design.

Yeah, something that elaborate would be ... significantly more challenging that what I had in mind.

Mind Out Of Time might be a bit long. What about The Warlock's Grandfather? Only about 48 pages, limited cast (so a single reader has a chance of doing different voices for each, and even if he/she didn't, it wouldn't be confusing) and it's a nice bit of backstory.
Rob
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm sad to hear that more audiobooks of the warlock series may not be forthcoming. I adore the series and re-read it periodically. Rod and family are little voices in my head and heart - I'd love to have them in my ears during my long commute to and from work.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Well, in the meantime, Rob, we've got some audio in the media section - Return With Your Spacesuit or On It. We've also got a radio theater version of The Alchemist and the Witch that I really need to post here at some point.
davinger
PostsCOLON 7

Postby davinger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm curious as to who is holding the books back. I know that Dr. Stacheff is busy with his retirement but is there any way he could light a fire at the publishers office? There is a demand for them I have told several people who now have a copy and are looking for more.

Sub note: Since my dad has a hard time reading I got him a Nook Color. The great thing about the Nook is that it has adjustable font size. I went ahead and ordered King Kolbold Revised and The Warlock Unlocked. There are only 2 problems...

1 The publisher only gave one font size.

2 After that there are no more books in that series.

The font size of the two books is a bit too small for him to read. This is simple to fix but after several attempts with the book store to get the publisher to alter it I give up.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:02 pm

My agent is dealing with the e-book folks, and part of the hold-up is that I want to release only three books at a time, partly to keep a check on audience reaction, partly to make sure I'm happy with their versions. Wild Voices did a really good job with the first one. If all goes well, we may do somemore.
Thanks!

Return to