To Communicate to the Warlock Himself -

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
KimbleyM
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 pm

To Communicate to the Warlock Himself -

Postby KimbleyM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:42 pm

I'd like to express my appreciation of the books written by Christopher Stasheff.
I'm a long time fan of his works and started my collection in 1984 with "King Kobold Revised".

At one time, a friend of mine found the email addresses of Chris Stasheff, Stephen Brust and Elisabeth Moon. We wrote fan-emails and actually received replies from both Chris Stasheff and Stephen Brust saying 'Thank you'.

My first impression of the Warlock Series was - 'I got it!'. I realized I wasn't just reading a story, but an outline of how Democracy would work for the Universe if it was taken as a universal concept instead of limiting it to one country. As a college student, the series made me take a closer look at what role communication took in countries to make democracy an addition to existing forms of governments such as Monarchy and Republics.

When the children came along in the later books, I understood that the concept of Democracy should be taught to our progeny in different ways. Unfortunately, my kids liked C.S. Lewis better.

I hope to be a frequent writer in this forum and hope it's success will be certain.
Kimbley M.
Chicago, IL
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: To Communicate to the Warlock Himself -

Postby Ortho the Frank » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Here's something I found interesting...

A recurring theme in Stasheff's work was "Anarchy doesn't work; it inevitably devolves into warlordism." He successfully convinced me of that pretty early on.

Then, of course, he had to go and prove himself wrong (his own form of perversity, I suppose) in "A Wizard and a Warlord," where he designed a successful system of anarchy that was... well, plausible. It forced me to rethink my views of anarchy.

Of course, then someone pointed out that the Scarlet Company in "Wizard & Warlord" (a secret society that knocked down any government that tried to form) was itself a form of government, albeit a minimal, hidden one. Great. Now I'm even more confused that ever.

At any rate, books that make you think about issues like these are rare, so I enjoy them all the more.
Nexus99
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 am

Postby Nexus99 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:55 am

To the Warlock Himself.:
Thanks! I hope you had as much fun writing as I've had reading! My how the Warlock books shaped a young teen's mind!
feaelin
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:24 am

Postby feaelin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:47 am

Ortho the Frank wroteColonHere's something I found interesting...

A recurring theme in Stasheff's work was "Anarchy doesn't work; it inevitably devolves into warlordism." He successfully convinced me of that pretty early on.

Then, of course, he had to go and prove himself wrong (his own form of perversity, I suppose) in "A Wizard and a Warlord," where he designed a successful system of anarchy that was... well, plausible. It forced me to rethink my views of anarchy.

Of course, then someone pointed out that the Scarlet Company in "Wizard & Warlord" (a secret society that knocked down any government that tried to form) was itself a form of government, albeit a minimal, hidden one. Great. Now I'm even more confused that ever.

At any rate, books that make you think about issues like these are rare, so I enjoy them all the more.

Me too, on all counts. It does make one wonder.

Its been a long while since I've read Wizard and a Warlord, was there a "check" on the Scarlet Company's power? I'd fear that a secret government would eventually face either internal corruption (and that, ultimately bad for the society) if unchecked or some kind of disastrous consequences if the unruly found out they were ruly after all--I think they'd take steps to make sure they were completely unruly. ;)
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby Ortho the Frank » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:07 pm

If memory serves me right, the book ended with the Indigo Company meeting to decide if the Scarlet Company had overstepped its authority. It never got around to explaining what check the Indigo Company held over the Scarlet company, though.
magdalene74
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Postby magdalene74 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Lets also not forget the natives who were watching over all of them, and probably keeping checks on the checks... in fact, i would say Chris's "anarchist" world was one of the most well Governed of all :). Still, i miss the Catholic influences so prominent in the early Warlock series.. :( Mr. Stasheff's grasp of Catholic theology is spot on for the most part, even when his characters dont stay strictly within its guidlines, as most people dont, the morality is very clear, and that scene with the Brother and the Nymph will always stay in my memory, in fact my husband, who does NOT read, said that passage made it so clear to him, it was a big boost to his determination to continue his conversion process.. and i am having all my kids read the warlock series largely because of this. It is nice to find Christianity and especially Catholicism in literature where it is not torn down and castigated. Thank you!

Return to