kindle versions

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
Masha
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Re: kindle versions

Postby Masha » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Ortho the Frank wroteColonYes, we are planning to release all of Chris's backlist on Kindle (and nook, and ibooks, and... you get the idea). The bad news is that the ebooks will come out rather slowly, for two reasons: 1) We need new cover art (any volunteers?), and 2) converting text to ebook does take time, especially since it's something I do outside of work ours, along with my own writing (I'm sorta the technical guy on this end).

The good news is that the ebook of Her Majesty's Wizard is coming out for Kindle during the first week of April. Special thanks to kf6eml for his help on the ebook, and my apologies that it took me almost a year to get it out. Oh, and thanks to Anne Brant for her new cover artwork. Oh, and the Uncle Merl's Bar & Grill ebook will be coming out very soon, too.

Any suggestions on what ebook should be our next priority after Her Majesty's Wizard?

I've been looking to A Crusading Wizard, so if you would convert this book to ebook that would be great! I'd like to have whole Wizard in Rhyme series with me. (since Grymarie is a LONG term project having x5 books as WiR)!
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby Ortho the Frank » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Okay, that works out well. Arc Manor (the company that did the Warlock in Spite of Himself ebook) has contracted to do another Warlock book (not sure yet if it's King Kobold or Warlock Unlocked). So while they're doing the Warlock series, I can try to focus on Wizard in Rhyme. I'll probably aim for the releasing them in sequence, though, so it'll be a while before we get to The Crusading Wizard. However, The Feline Wizard is already available as an ebook.

The Mind Out of Time ebook will be release in... oh, a week or two. We're just waiting on the cover art at the moment.

The Glass Marines, obviously, missed its June 1st release goal, mainly because we're still releasing it chapter-by-chapter on the website. So let's shoot for a new release date of July 1st.

Thanks for the input!
RN7457
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 am

Postby RN7457 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks! got the Warlock In Spite downloaded; it'll be great to get them all, and in order is fine by me. Just read My Son the Wizard hard copy, (yet again), which is also making me want to read the whole series (in order of course) again as well.
jcharles
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:09 am

Postby jcharles » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi Chris,

This website is delightful. Reminiscing about the stories you wrote allows me to reconnect with "my green salad days"...No small thing given the state of the world today. I am also looking forward to the Kindle releases. But as a long time fan I do have one request...Please don't edit out the non PC material. I know that we all want to be sensitive to real issues. But changing what you wrote over 40 years ago to be politically correct is like Mark Twain editing "Huck Finn" to bring the language up to contemporary PC standards; art, cultural context and truth, ultimately, would be lost. Truth, in my opinion, is more important than shifting PC standards. But of course, your mileage may vary. Looking forward to the new book.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:09 pm

But as a long time fan I do have one request...Please don't edit out the non PC material.

Seconded.
mf2112
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Postby mf2112 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:05 pm

kf6eml wroteColon
But as a long time fan I do have one request...Please don't edit out the non PC material.

Seconded.

Thirded. I think these types of changes, even when done by the author, detract from the quality. Catherine deserved it, and Tuan did NOTHING wrong. It wasn't like he beat her. I got spanked as a child and I knew when I deserved it and why.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:16 pm

Thank you all for the vote of confidence. I'll go ahead with the original versions from now on. As one of my female readers told me, someone is bound to object no matter how much I try to be PC. An African-American woman author said, in a group conference, that if you want to write about someone from another ethnic group, you should research that culture as well as you can -- then still expect some criticism. I will say that I was trying to be accurate when I wrote the books, but times and values change.
RN7457
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:24 am

Postby RN7457 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:25 am

I know that Kindle has offered me corrected and re-edited versions, to replace the edition I had of Lord of the Rings. Would it be possible to edit and go back to the original version of the night before the battle with
Catherine and Tuan?
feaelin
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:24 am

Postby feaelin » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:28 am

I just finished reading the Kindle edition of Warlock in Spite of Himself. I had noticed the missing section (I had to look at my print copy!), but the conversation above explains that.

I have a nitpick: There's a paragraph break missing when Fess is commenting on Rod's feelings for Catharine and Gwendolyn, between being?" and "Uh...

"And not loved?" the robot mused. "Rod, of the two women, which is the better human being?" "Uh...Gwendylon"

Depending on font size, Rod's dialog may appear next to Fess, giving the appearance that its Fess again.

I thought I'd go ahead and mention it--in case there's an update to the eBook at some point--not worth the effort if this the only thing to be changed, of course!

Does the publishing folks have a mechanism for handling updates for eBooks?
Breeman
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm
LocationCOLON Leominster MA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Breeman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 pm

To Ortho the Frank / Mr. Stasheff

Not sure if you're aware of this, but there are .pdfs of most of the Warlock Series books floating around online (The only ones missing being Starship Troupers 1, 2, and The Spell-Bound Scholar).

Now I'm sure these aren't official or even legal, but they're not hard to find, and they might aid in your getting the rest of the books ready for official Kindle release, as they are incredibly easy to convert to kindle (or any other ebook format) using tools like http://www.2epub.com/

I personally tried converting all the pdfs to .mobi to read on the kindle app on my iPhone and it worked great for all of them (also, I own hard copies of all the books, it's just extra convenient to have them on my iPhone).

I just wanted to point this out to you guys, and I won't post the sources or download links to those .pdfs here because I don't want to get in trouble or anything.
"Father Vidicon, protect us from Finagle!"

Return to