Rouge Wizard

Report any problems or suggestions here.
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 pm
LocationCOLON Omigahd, Nebraska

Rouge Wizard

Postby Falchion Wielder » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:04 pm

One can only hope he chooses a shade that complements his eyes.
Or who ever did the graphic is dyslexic. Rogue wizard I know. The 'Rouge Wizard' I may have seen at Disney World last month.

~Falchion Wielder
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Moulin Rouge Wizard

Postby Ortho the Frank » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Oh dear God. I'm so embarrassed. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it ASAP. At least someone noticed it before we had too many visitors to the site.

Of course, now I'm thinking of a "Moulin Rouge Wizard"... and I'm frightened.

Just out of curiosity, why a falchion? As I understand it, it was mainly an agricultural chopping tool, like a machete, that yeomen and peasants used as a makeshift sword when conscripted as soldiers. I understand many of Henry V's yeomen archers used it as a backup weapon for their long bow at Agincourt. Are you making a sort of a "power to the people" revolutionary statement? I could see that...

Thanks!
Web Wizard
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19

Re: Rouge Wizard

Postby Falchion Wielder » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:28 pm

My name is Jon Conyers. There is a Conyers Falchion at the Cathedral in Durham, England. This is reputed to be the vorpal blade that went snicker snack and through and through when wielded by a person with whom I share a name and may be descended. (Some scholars say that Lewis Carroll lived along the river Tees in the Durham area and might have based Jabberwocky on the legend. Other disagree.) Thus the Stockburn Worm was put asunder. I've also christened my new sailboat, 'Falchion'.

The weapon itself was not one for dueling between gentlemen, but one for killing when surrounded by many. Hack and slash, most of the time your blade strikes without serious damage to it and maximum damage to whomever was unlucky enough to be in the way. All this was to have happened after 1066. Scholars, as usual, have many opinions. War in this time was one of melee and slaughter. A falchion is perfect for this type of combat. I believe the Moros used similar blades in the Philippines against the Japanese in WW II.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Falchion

Postby Ortho the Frank » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering what the heck we're talking about...

Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19

Postby Falchion Wielder » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:50 am

Or the real deal can be seen at
http://homepages.tesco.net/~tinyclanger ... onyers.jpg

A pic of the sword that is purported to be the sword that slew the Sockburn (or Storkburn as it was known in years past) Worm.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:13 pm

Again, I think there's a story there -- the rouge wizard is either a mage using makeup as part of a spell, or one who hangs out at the Moulin Rouge. Now that I mention it, there's something magical about Toulouse-Lautrec's work. Have to mull that one over...
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19

Postby Falchion Wielder » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:22 pm

Hmmm.... A person that does magic through a different kind of art. Perhaps that's been done, Dorian. Perhaps not quite fully explored. Hard to wield in a fight, but the exposure over time could have some positive or negative effect. Like radioactivity or carcinogens.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Perhaps he only does magic when he's seeing red. Or his magic only works on red objects. Maybe he's a French communist make-up artist... Oh, the possibilities!
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19

Postby Falchion Wielder » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:31 am

Kilo Foxtrot 6,

Keep your head down over there! If you are still in country this fall my son-in-law will be supporting you from overhead. He is an EWO in RC-135s. He and his crew have helped a few folks out on the ground by arranging the removal of bad guys from here or there.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 am

I maintain Kiowas so our guys can go out and remove bad guys. Everybody loves seeing them arrive.
Haven't lost one yet, so we (maintainers) must be doing something right!

I should be here until Oct or Nov. Not sure yet. If he happens by FOB Salerno, have him drop by the cigar social on Sunday night. Have to think of something he can wear so I can recognize him... Maybe a "Gallowglass" nametape?

Return to