How much would you pay for a Stasheff ebook?

Report any problems or suggestions here.

Nothing
22%
$1
No votes
$2
No votes
$3
No votes
$4
11%
$5
11%
$6
No votes
$7
56%

Total votesCOLON 9
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Please help us out with a little market research on ebooks. First, would you pay money for a Stasheff ebook at all when you could probably find a bootleg on the internet for free? If yes, what would you consider a fair price?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 pm
LocationCOLON Omigahd, Nebraska

Re: How much would you pay for a Stasheff ebook?

Postby Falchion Wielder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm in for $7... for new, somewhat less for old, $3-$4. I have to qualify.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:33 am

I don't have any figures handy, but I've heard that an author usually gets a bit less than 10% of the retail price per copy sold, for older titles. Thus, if the author is offering an e-book on his website, I would have to argue that the price should be pegged so that he makes about 25% of the usual retail price from each sale. Thus, assuming an $8 retail price for a paperback, $2 (plus expenses) for a downloadable copy sounds more than reasonable. It offers a cheaper alternative for the reader, and a higher profit for the author. Of course, new titles from an established author will demand a (well deserved) higher price.

In paper publishing, I understand that there are expenses: Editing, proofing, compiling, printing, distributing, marketing, retail profit margin, remainders, etc and so on (and never forget the taxes, taxes, taxes!) that make the books a lot more expensive than just the paper and ink. For those books, $7 or $8 is not unreasonable.
On the other hand, with e-books, there is no printing or shipping, and there are no remaindered copies that go to waste. If the author writes it and compiles the e-book, then his expenses are mainly whatever he spends on the proof readers. (beyond his usual expenses in writing, that is.) He might pay somebody to handle the internet transactions, too.

So a good price depends on who is doing the work, and how much promotion it takes to sell. I would think that if Mr. Stasheff offered the first book of each series free of charge as a promotional offer, the other books in his series would sell pretty well in electronic format, and he should see an increase in paper sales as well. The effect has been demonstrated. The "first book free" offer would be promotion at a minimal expense, since the books are already written and have passed their peak in the stores. This makes the best kind of promotion without chewing through a huge chunk of the retail receipts.
The hardest part will be making people aware of even his free offerings - although Amazon.com can help a lot, there. He might also see if the publisher were willing to do such a thing. Baen publishing has a free library and it seems to be pretty successful at promoting the newer works.

As for bootleg copies... I doubt it will be much of an issue. Just now, I tried finding some bootleg copies of Mr. Stasheff's work. I found one, but only after searching through various spoof sites that triggered my antivirus program or wanted me to register "for a small fee." Too much hassle for the casual reader. The only people who are likely to persist in trying to find a viable download are those who already know his name. If you put up your own site, offering legitimate copies for a reasonable price, and spread the word, then you will start popping up on the search engines, and people will buy from you rather than go through the hassle of finding bootlegs of questionable quality from sites that may try to infect their systems. The few sales you "lose" to bootlegs will more than likely be offset by the exposure that even those bootleg copies give. After all, I didn't pay for my first copy of "The Warlock In Spite of Himself;" it belonged to someone else. I bought used copies of most of the rest of that series, and Mr. S did not receive a dime in royalties from them. On the other hand, I have bought new copies of a number of his more recent works and a few of the older ones that have been lost or destroyed over the years, and he has made something from those. I will more than likely buy copies in electronic format as well - the bootleg copies I downloaded leave something to be desired.

So, in summary: I would be willing to pay about $2 - $2.50 each for old titles and about double that for new work.
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 pm
LocationCOLON Omigahd, Nebraska

Postby Falchion Wielder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm

Well done (or Bravo Zulu as we say in the Navy) Kilo Fox Six. You said what I wanted to say but didn't have the time! Ortho take note, KF6 is making sense. KF6, are you a staff officer? You have the skills.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Nope, sorry. Army junior enlisted :)

I do read a lot, though, and at 37, am somewhat older than most of the guys in my unit, including all but one of the senior enlisted.

(P.S. I did some poking around and experimenting, and have actually found a GNU ebook producing program. I'll play with it and if I can make something reasonably good, I'll email it (the book) to the admin and see if they like it. It won't be distributable, because I lack a lot of the info that has to go into the lead pages, but it should serve as an example of what can be done with it. First, though, I have to clean up the text. It is that bootleg I mentioned, and the formatting is terrible!)
John in Japan
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:26 am

Postby John in Japan » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 am

Hi. Just wanted to say quickly... I agree with Chris himself... I prefer an armchair and paperback.
Sitting in front of the computer and reading just as zero appeal to me.

now if you were to hook up with some bookseller to make hard copies of some of the earliest books available at a discounted rate (with Chris getting a more direct cut of the pie than simple royalties)... I'd be all for buying real books through this site.

I own more than half of what Chris has written, and would LOVE to own every last book.
Problem is I live in Japan. No book stores carry, and online sites generally charge more for the shipping than the book itself, especially considering the age of the book!

sigh

so if you open an online STORE of real books... I'm all for it
shalym
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Postby shalym » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:37 pm

I found this site because I was doing an Amazon search for Stasheff books on Kindle. I've had a Kindle since they came out, and I love it--I've recently started trying to get Kindle versions of favorite books that I have in paper version. Unfortunately, there are only 4 Stasheff books available right now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?node=15 ... 20Stasheff

I love books--they've been one of the most important things in my life since I first learned how to read 40 years ago. I'm one of those people that read the backs of cereal boxes or placemats if I don't have anything else to read...and the Kindle, and the Sony e-reader that I had before my Kindle, are the best purchases I've ever made--they truly let me read anywhere, and the ability to change font size when my eyes are tired has let me read more books for longer periods of time at a stretch.

All that being said...PLEASE, PLEASE do all you can to make ALL of the books available as e-books. I would (and have) paid more for an e-book than the paper book price, simply because e-books are easier for me to read at this point in my life. (besides the font issue, it's much easier for me to hold my Kindle than it is a paper book) I know that there are many others like me.

Shari
shalym
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Postby shalym » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Hello--

I was wondering if there was any progress in getting the older books up as e-books? I would REALLY like to be able to buy copies of all of the Gramarye and Starship Troupers books--I looked again today on Amazon, and there aren't any more now than there were, and sadly, the print copies are pretty much out of stock.

Shari
Xepshunall
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 am

Postby Xepshunall » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:32 am

The quality of the ebook would have to be of equal quality to a paperback. It would have to have cover art and critics' reviews. I'd prefer audio though. I drive a truck for a living and have little time to pick up a book and little extra space for solid books. I use a netbook for everything so MP3 format would be preferable over any other. It would be better for everybody if I didn't read an ebook while driving.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby Ortho the Frank » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Too true. We've got a free MP3 story in the "Media" section - "Return With Your Spacesuit or On It." I think "Warlock in Spite of Himself" is available in MP3 format from Audible.com as well.

Return to