How much would you pay for a Stasheff audiobook?

Report any problems or suggestions here.

Nothing
25%
$1
No votes
$2
No votes
$3
No votes
$4
No votes
$5
No votes
$6
25%
$7
25%
$8
25%
$10
No votes

Total votesCOLON 4
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:45 pm

Please help us out with a little market research on audiobooks. Do you have any interest in downloading Stasheff audiobooks? If so, would you pay for it, or just try to find a free bootleg copy on the internet somewhere? If yes, what would you consider a fair price?

Thanks in advance for your opinion!
Falchion Wielder
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 pm
LocationCOLON Omigahd, Nebraska

Re: How much would you pay for a Stasheff audiobook?

Postby Falchion Wielder » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Audiobooks are an attraction that really depend on the voice and expressions of the reader(s). E-Books on the other hand... I can always borrow my daughter's Kindle.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:19 am

I suppose it would depend on the reader.

I'd pay much more to hear anything narrated by James Earl Jones than, for example, William Shatner. You'd actually have to pay me to sit through Fran Drescher reading anything. :shock:

$7 - $10 is not bad for a download of a 300 - 400 page book read by a reasonably talented actor. Double that for a store-bought disc set. Double that for James Earl Jones. :D
Batchman
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:57 am

Postby Batchman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Personally, I would be more interested in good audio books than ebooks. I still prefer reading a physical book to reading something off the computer screen, but when I had a CD player in my car that would handle mp3 files, I listened to a lot of audio books that I really enjoyed while driving. (I drive hours a day for my job.)

The problem with audio books, most of the time, is that they often seem to be about twice as expensive as an equivelent hardcover book, which can get quite expensive. I'm one of those people with very little money to spare. Based on the price ranges suggested at the top of this post, however, I would seriously consider some Stasheff audio books.

For an easy way to listen to the earlier stuff that is becoming harder to find in print format, I would be willing (and more importantly) able to pay $5 to $7 bucks per title, and work on collecting the whole thing, over time. Much higher than that, and I probably couldn't afford it, though I would wish that I could.

On the issue of who would do the reading, there are a few issues to consider. There is a certain benefit to an author reading his/her own books, as long as said author has a good reading voice. There's the issue of making sure the quality is there in the audio levels. Some of the reviews of audio books Orson Scott Card has written in his Uncle Orson Reviews Everything columns, for example, mentions books where the ending of almost every line read drops to being too difficult to hear.

Again, as others have noted elsewhere, new stories deserve and can bring in higher amounts than the older stories.

Anyway, my somewhat random thoughts on the issue.
RykerFranklin
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Postby RykerFranklin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I don't know

Return to