I need help and suggestions

Report any problems or suggestions here.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I need help and suggestions

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Hey guys,

As you've noticed, we haven't posting anything new for a month now. The reason is... well, quite frankly, we're running out of material. Hey, we made it three and a half years with something new to add almost every week, but this was bound to happen eventually.

There are a few other short stories we haven't posted yet, but they were written for anthologies Chris wasn't the editor for, and the legal issues surrounding whether we can post them or not is murky at best.

Chris has a few unpublished novels we've been releasing chapter by chapter (The Frog and the Grog and The Belter's War), but Chris hesitates to post ALL the chapters for fear no one would bother buying the book if/when it is published.

Finally, we have plenty of fiction from Chris's friends to post, but... well, this IS Chris's site, and to be posting nothing but stuff that WASN'T written by Chris seems kinda pointless - after all, that's not what people come here for.

Any idea how we should proceed? What would you guys like to see more of? Should we cut down to posting every two weeks, or even once a month? Post more stuff by other authors?
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Re: I need help and suggestions

Postby kf6eml » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Wish I knew how to help.
Obviously, we would all like to spend some more time wandering the halls of Dr. S's imagination, but we understand why you can't post it.

Does he have any talented students you could ask for content?
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Postby Ortho the Frank » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Well, we could finish posting the "Predatory Practices" story, and Pete D'Alessio has a few short stories we could post (including a werewolf story we're saving for Halloween). Another fan of the site has the first three chapters of her novel she'd like feedback on. I could also scrape up a few essays Chris wrote over the years.

Next question: would you guy prefer it if:

A) We put something up every week, even if it doesn't include anything by Chris?

B) If we have nothing from Chris for that week, don't put up anything at all?

Thanks.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:33 am

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the site.
If you're just looking for traffic, then more content is better, no matter who wrote it. That's usually only a strategy for sites that depend on advertising.
On the other hand, if it's for publicity for Dr. Stasheff (I can't bring myself to call him by his first name!) then posting too much from other authors might obscure his work.
Maybe post what he has, but stretch it out more? Instead of full chapters, maybe half a chapter a week, or just a couple pages at a time?

If you could work a deal with unpublished authors or on unpublished works where he gets a percentage of sales, you could make a whole new section for "endorsed titles" and just publish teasers. Who knows? It may make a few dollars and help unknown authors get their names out there.
PriyaSahu
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 am

Postby PriyaSahu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:47 am

Great Information was very useful for me...
PriyaSahu
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:41 am

Postby PriyaSahu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:47 am

Great Information was very useful for me...

Return to