The Wiki

Report any problems or suggestions here.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

The Wiki

Postby kf6eml » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:43 am

I looked at the wiki on Dear Author's website, and I have a few observations...

First, when you click on "Add Entry," it gives you the new entry template page to edit, and not a new blank page. The only way I found to make a new page is to create a link and then use the "broken link" to create the new page. It worked, but it was a cumbersome method.

Also, is the Wiki supposed to be for all of his work, or just for the DDT and Merovence series?

Finally, is it all about the books, or should there be a biography page or two?
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: The Wiki

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Yeah... I'm not 100% happy with the wiki software myself, mainly because it is so cumbersome to create a new entry. If it's too much trouble, people won't bother.

It's for all things Stasheff, so Warlock entries are okay, too. I think we have some, actually.

And, although biography pages hadn't occurred to me, I see no reason not to include them.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll post more wiki entries eventually.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213

Postby kf6eml » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:41 pm

I had a thought on how to handle this...

On the main page, put up an introductory "splash" page with links to various sections, then the links will allow you to create those sections.

Each section can be made with links back to the main page, the next higher page in that tree and maybe links to other major areas.

This will avoid having to create a bunch of new pages from scratch, as it were, and keep things in some sort of order. It also eliminates the need to navigate from a list page.

I'll work on it as time permits, and if you don't like it, I'll revert everything to the way it is now.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:19 pm

That's not a bad idea - cluster Gramarye, Wizard in Rhyme, and... uh... "other" onto their own pages. That would make navigation easier. It's something I'll definitely have to look into.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:59 pm

I'd like to add a word about Ortho's logo -- he's not kidding when he says he was rasied by a cup of coffee. I'm addicted to the stuff and am in danger of going broke from lattes. Ortho and his sibs are conspiring to buy me a coffee mug that whistles when you clap your hands, to prevent my constant searches. Read his entry about our trip to search for sage if you need proof.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213

Postby kf6eml » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:45 pm

I read that. I can't decide who I identified with more.

When I was driving a truck, there were days when I would drink as much as two gallons of coffee every day for weeks on end. If I didn't drink at least a full pot of it in a day, the headaches would be unbearable.
When I was going through a writing "phase" a few years ago, I wrote about the coffee in truck stops. Every word of it is true. Really. I couldn't put on the internet if it weren't, now could I?
http://webpages.charter.net/waynemoore/ ... 9jun04.htm

Now I am in the Army, and have managed to cut back to about half a gallon a day at most.

And while I'm home on leave, it has Irish Whiskey in it.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 pm

He, that was pretty good! I laughed out loud at least three times, which is always a good sign. You seem to have a talent for humorous writing.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Wonderful vignette, Kf6eml. My daughter was laughing with Ortho and me. You I sympathize with the truck drivers you describe. I even had some of those symptoms myself, after the carbon monoxide exposure. Sure enough, coffee helped, even if it wasn't the truck stop brew.

Return to