Stealing Time

Review and discuss Christopher Stasheff's new short stories.
steve1100
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:41 pm

Re: Stealing Time

Postby steve1100 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Irene Adler, The Woman. Have a look at Scandal in Bohemia.
puddley
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Postby puddley » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Ok - If I can't have the book, then keep it coming this way. As usual, a very fun read.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT: TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES

Postby Ortho the Frank » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:20 pm

When Chris wrote Stealing Time years ago, he saved it on floppy disks - which, unfortunately, seem to have degraded. I'm currently whipping out all my CPU-Fu trying to recover the data, but... well, Chris may have to rewrite the whole book from memory.

I think he still has a few good chapters left, but after that there may be a long delay in the GRIPE story. Sorry!

P.S. - If anyone knows of good floppy disk recovery software, let me know! The stuff I've used so far hasn't recovered much yet.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Story's advancing nicely. Good history lessons - any story that makes me want to read up on history is a good one - and I like the way you can get into the head of a Victorian woman so believably.

You're broadening the vista in terms of showing us how many different people are working for the Doc without it becoming tiresome. That adds depth to the story, too.

Well done!
wd59
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Wed May 09, 2012 2:35 am

Postby wd59 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:52 am

Wow! I know I'm late - on this particulat work, but just wanted to say I hated to see the end here on the website, and now I HAVE to go find it so I can buy and finishreading it!

Yet again CS, I started one of your works with a little bit of hesitency, but found myself eating it up and not wanting to put it down by the second chapter. Great job once again!

As I said, I know I may be late to respond, and may not see a comment on my response, but being somewhat (okay, okay... VERY) lax about using computers and the internet, (kicking and screaming will the computer illiterate be dragged down the information highway), I confess that I just found the website and therefore the first seven chapters posted on here. Am I ever glad I did!!!! :D

Have been a fan of CS's since the late eighties - used to take the books on Submarine patrols with me to read and share. The ones I have , I've read and reread, and will reread again and again. I haven't found too many in bookstores lately however, and even feared the passing of CS. :o Thankfully, I found the site and now look forward to many more enjoyable evenings reading all the new (to me) works.

Great job CS, and I'm very happy to see you're still with us, and still at it!
achick4
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 pm

Postby achick4 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Discrepancies re Elspeth and Eli in Chapter 8½

In the passage describing Elspeth and Eli’s assassination of George Washington:
• The narrative refers to Elspeth’s boss at SPITE
• Hugh and Minerva shoot Elspeth and Eli. One gets the impression that Elspeth and Eli are dead.
• Two men appear, whom Hugh and Minerva apparently think are enemy agents from Elspeth and Eli’s organization, and pick up the bodies and disappear (i.e time-travel).

Angus and Yorick get a letter via the time machine – apparently from GRIPE in the future. Yorick reads it, but not aloud, so we don’t actually know what the letter says).
• Yorick seems to be saying that the GRIPE agents watching Elspeth and Eli put Elspeth back in the time booth. (In the above passage, it was the enemy agents who took them away.)

• Yorick says Elspeth will be no use to VETO now that GRIPE knows what she looks like. Yorick seems to think that Elspeth works for VETO rather than SPITE, and that she is still alive. They then discuss whether she might try plastic surgery.

It is possible that Yorick has come to some wrong conclusions, either because the letter contained incorrect or incomplete information, or that he just misread it.

Also, why do they talk about Elspeth, and not Eli? In response to Yorick’s statement "…they caught Elspeth and Eli as they were taking aim", Angus says "What’d they do with her?" ("her" not "them", and the rest of the conversation is about Elspeth.)

Angus realizes that Elspeth’s voice was the same (including the accent) as the woman who had ambushed Ada – but that woman seems to have been from VETO. (The accent would presumably have been American from Kentucky, once she’d dropped her false Cockney accent.)
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for catching these! These are exactly the kind of inconsistencies and plot holes that it's best to catch BEFORE a novel is released/published.
longduo
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:40 am
CONTACTCOLON

Postby longduo » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:43 am

Should we, perhaps, post "Mind Out of Time", GRIPE's origin story, on the site as well?
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:24 pm

We contemplated that, but ultimately decided against it, mainly because (theoretically at least) no one would buy the ebook version if we posted it here for free.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Return to