kindle versions

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: kindle versions

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Breeman,

Yep, we are aware of the bootleg copies floating around cyberspace, and we are indeed using them as the base for converting the books to eBooks (kf6eml, one of our biggest forum contributors, has been proofreading the Wizard in Rhyme series for us to catch the OCR typos).

Unfortunately, trying to scour these bootleg copies off the internet is probably a fool's errand. The best we can hope for is another iTunes phenomenon - give people a cheap, legal way to download a higher-quality legitimate copy, and hope they will. It seems to be working so far. Chris sells.. oh, 75 to 100 ebook copies of HMW a month.

I'm currently working on (among many other things) converting The Glass Marines to ebook format. Unfortunately, that book requires a lot of special formatting that's bogging me down. After that, Oathbound Wizard is our next project.

Thanks!
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Hey, Beeman.
There's really no way to update an ebook except to offer a new copy. I'll make a note to find and correct that spot and resubmit it to Ortho.

I do use the bootleg copies as a base for conversion. The problem is that most of them are OCR (Optical Character Recognition) scanned copies, and full of mistakes and omissions. This is the reason that I very much prefer legitimate copies - the quality control is better, you don't have to worry about people adding or editing out material, and when the author is handling it, he may even decide to add new material now and then. Trying to read some OCR ebooks gives me headaches, and editing them! Ugh! There have been times I've had to refer to my paper copies to insert sentences or whole paragraphs that were missing.
Breeman
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm
LocationCOLON Leominster MA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Breeman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:48 pm

I see. Yeah, I've already noticed some obvious OCR errors already from reading Saint Vidicon to the Rescue, but overall it hasn't really diminished my enjoyment of the book. Glad to see that a lot of work is going into the legitimate ebooks, and I'll definitely buy some of them, especially if enough get released that they can be purchased in a bundle.

Keep up the good work!
"Father Vidicon, protect us from Finagle!"
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:18 am

That's actually not a bad idea. I know a couple of my favorite authors have re-released new books which compile several serials into one package.

In the case of the Wizard in Rhyme or the Warlock series, unfortunately, there are so many books that they'd run to three or four thousand pages. A bit much for the casual reader.

On the other hand, it may be possible for a skilled writer < cough>Stasheff< cough> to stitch them together so that one story flows into the next smoothly. It would require re-writing the first and last chapters of most of them, though, and maybe redoing a few chapters in the middle.
Actually, I don't know if asking the original author to do it would be wise, considering that it would give him opportunity to insert all the puns he only realized that he'd left out until after they were off to the publisher. When puns have sat and festered that long, they get pretty rank.

On the other hand, some of the stories could run concurrently. Sort of taking the scenes and shuffling them like a deck of cards...

Then the stories could be put into one big book and resold at or near retail price.
Ortho, if you're listening, maybe it's something to think about...
Breeman
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm
LocationCOLON Leominster MA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Breeman » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:31 pm

I was more thinking along the lines of bundles of 3 books for a slightly discounted price. Kind of like the omnibus releases (like The Warlock Enlarged).

As for stringing all the books together, I hadn't even thought of that. If Stasheff was up to the task and gave us a little bit more of the Warlock Series, I would totally buy! :D
"Father Vidicon, protect us from Finagle!"

Return to