Rogue Wizard Reading Order

The Warlock, the Warlock's Heirs, and the Rogue Wizard.
Nexus99
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 am

Rogue Wizard Reading Order

Postby Nexus99 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:57 am

Is there a suggested reading order for the Rogue Wizard set?
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Re: Rogue Wizard Reading Order

Postby Ortho the Frank » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:06 pm

Well, I guess the story really starts with Warlock and Son, then continues in Wizard in Absentia. Neither of them are technically part of the Rogue Wizard series, but they set up the groundwork for it.

After that, the order for the Rogue Wizard series is:

Wizard in Mind
Wizard in Bedlam
Wizard in War
Wizard in Peace
Wizard in Chaos
Wizard in Midgard
Wizard and a Warlord
Wizard in the Way
Wizard in a Feud

Chris, correct me if I've got it wrong...
Nexus99
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 am

Postby Nexus99 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I've found the following in Hard Cover:
Mind
War
Peace
Chaos
Midgard
Warlord
Way
Feud

Is the origonal 1979 A Wizard in Bedlam the same as the paperback version listed as part of the set? Or maybe there is a newer Hard Cover version I should look for?
And has anyone ever seen a Hard Cover A Wizard in Absentia? I can only find PB.

Thanks in advance!
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:08 pm

The only hardcover edition of Wizard in Bedlam that I know of is the original 1979 edition. You can get it used on Amazon for under $5, although I don't what condition it would be in after 32 years.

I don't know of any hardcover editions of Wizard in Absentia (well... not in English, at least). Actually, I'm not sure if Absentia is part of the Rogue Wizard series or the Warlock's Heirs series.

Chris? Which series did you plan it to be part of?

If you're a fan of the Rogue Wizard series, you might get a kick out of this post, arising from an embarrassing but amusing typo I made during the site's early days:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Wizard in Bedlam is still the only one in hardback. I'll check the reading order, but I'm pretty sure Ortho has it right.

I wrote Bedlam first, then years later adjusted the whole series to fit around it. In fact, I originally wrote it as a stand-alone but couldn't resist asking the usual questions about how the main character came to be there until the VERY thorough rewrite -- probably the most drastically overhauled book I've written. I realized fairly early on that Gar was really Magnus.

As to development of the rest of the series, I thought of it as a tree, or maybe a river delta, with two branches coming off the main trunk of the original Warlock series -- the Wizard's Heirs series (really the idea of my editor at Ace, bless her) and the Rogue Wizard series. Then, of course, to tie it all up, Magnus had to come home for THE WARLOCK'S LAST RIDE, reuniting all three series.

After Warlock and Son, a fan wrote to suggest that maybe Magnus could meet a similarly wounded woman and the two could heal each other. I didn't see how it could work at the time, but that is, of course, how it eventually worked out. Wish I could remember her name so that I could thank her properly.

Bedlam was the first book I ever took to my agent. On the way out of her office, I looked up and saw a billboard advertising DeCade cigarettes. After a mild freakout moment, I looked again and realized the name of the smokes was "Decade" because it had been ten years in development. What a capital difference that C made!
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am
LocationCOLON Waldron, IN

Postby kf6eml » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Suddenly, I am struck by an old metaphor; "Seeing the Elephant."
In case you haven't heard it, it describes several blind men approaching an elephant from different places.
The one at the front feels the tusk, and says, "An elephant is hard and smooth."
The one at the tail says, "An elephant is long and skinny, and has wiry hair at the end."
The one in the middle says, "An elephant is rough and pebbly."
All of them are correct, but none of them understands the elephant.
It has been used for years as a metaphor for people going to war; You just don't understand until you've actually been there.

This series of books is like the blind man learning about the elephant. One book starts at one angle, then another fills in some more, and only after you've read all of them (or perhaps, written all of them,) can you truly understand the whole story.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213

Postby kf6eml » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:34 pm

I doubt the capital would have been a death sentence for the book, even if the ad were just a smoke screen for someone else's claim to the name.
cstasheff
PostsCOLON 114
JoinedCOLON Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Postby cstasheff » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Smoke screen -- very good. I'll have to use that somewhere. By the way, have you tried a page or two of THE GLASS MARINES? If so, any opinions? Oh, and have you thought of any more short works for us? You and D'Alessio have parallel senses of humor.
kf6eml
PostsCOLON 213

Postby kf6eml » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 am

I read all of the Glass Marines, and liked it very much.

The only shorts I can think of offhand are syndicated columns or previously published shorts. Not likely to be anything you can post here.

I had a friend once who liked to write; I can see if he still does, though it's been a number of years since I've talked to him. Maybe he has been using a pseudonym like "Piers Anthony" or "Robert Heinlen" or something, and we've all been reading his stuff all along...

Not bloody likely.

I can ask, though.

As for writing my own, well, there hasn't been too much interesting lately, except for the boredom inherent in the military life. I could fill a thousand-word column on the eight different ways of avoiding work, or the fun and excitement that follows ordering seven dozen pizzas to the sergeant-major's house at 1 AM... But those kinds of stories would only have a small audience appeal.
Ortho the Frank
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 252

Postby Ortho the Frank » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Wha - you never mentioned before that you'd been published! (Not that I'm surprised to hear it, though.) You've been holding out on us! Well, we still have the Thanksgiving spot, at least...

Return to